Looking for ways to save on hotel rooms? You’re in the right place!
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: by following the tips and tricks in this article, you can save big on your next hotel stay.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about saving money on hotel rooms. From booking strategies to loyalty programs, we’ve got you covered!
Timing is Everything
When it comes to saving on hotel rooms, timing is key. Here are some tips:
- Book during off-peak seasons: Hotel prices tend to be higher during peak travel seasons when demand is high. Therefore, it is worth mentioning that you could save a significant amount by booking during off-peak seasons. For example, if you’re planning a trip to a beach destination, consider traveling during the fall or winter months when the weather is still pleasant, but the crowds have thinned out.
- Check for last-minute deals: If you have a flexible travel schedule and can book a hotel room at the last minute, you may be able to snag a great deal. Many hotels offer discounts on unsold rooms to fill their occupancy rates. Keep in mind that this strategy is a bit risky, as there’s no guarantee that there will be any available rooms.
- Consider mid-week stays: Business travelers tend to book hotels during the weekdays, leaving weekends less busy. Therefore, hotels often offer lower rates during the mid-week period. By planning your stay during these days, you could save a considerable amount on your hotel room.
- Avoid major events and holidays: Hotel prices tend to skyrocket during major events and holidays. For example, if you plan to visit a city during a music festival, the price of a hotel room could be much higher than usual. Unfortunately, this is a time when many people want to travel. If you must travel during these times, try to book your hotel room well in advance to avoid the highest prices.
By keeping these tips in mind, you could save a substantial amount of money on your hotel room. Remember to be flexible with your travel dates and plan ahead to take advantage of the best deals.
When it comes to saving on hotel rooms, comparison shopping is key. Here are some ways to compare prices and deals:
- Check multiple booking sites: There are a variety of online booking sites that offer hotel rooms, such as Expedia, Booking.com, and Hotels.com. It is worth mentioning that each site may have different prices and deals, so it is important to compare multiple sites to find the best deal.
- Look for package deals: Some booking sites offer package deals that include flights, rental cars, and hotel rooms. These deals can be a great way to save money, especially if you are planning a trip that includes multiple components. Keep in mind that these deals may have restrictions, such as non-refundable bookings.
- Negotiate directly with the hotel: It is possible to negotiate directly with the hotel for a better rate, especially if you are booking during the off-season or for a longer stay. Remember to be friendly and polite when negotiating, and be prepared to walk away if the hotel is not willing to negotiate.
- Consider alternative accommodations: If you are looking to save money, consider alternative accommodations such as hostels, vacation rentals, or even camping. On the other hand, keep in mind that these options may not have the same amenities as a traditional hotel room.
When comparing prices and deals, it is important to keep in mind any additional fees or taxes that may be added to the total cost. Additionally, it is a good idea to read reviews from previous guests to get an idea of the hotel’s quality and any potential issues.
According to a recent study done by CNBC, the average hotel booking site markup is around 18%. This means that by shopping around and comparing prices, you could potentially save a significant amount of money on your hotel room.
|Booking Site||Average Nightly Cost||Additional Fees|
|Expedia||$150||$20 resort fee|
|Booking.com||$155||No additional fees|
|Hotels.com||$160||$10 booking fee|
As you can see from the comparison chart, different booking sites may have different additional fees, which can add up quickly. By taking the time to compare prices and fees, you can save money on your hotel room and have more money to spend on other aspects of your trip.
Join Loyalty Programs
One of the easiest ways to save on hotel rooms is to join loyalty programs offered by popular hotel chains. These programs allow travelers to earn points for their stays, which can be redeemed for discounts and perks on future bookings.
In addition to earning points, loyalty program members often get access to exclusive rates not available to the general public. This can result in significant savings, especially for frequent travelers.
Another benefit of joining loyalty programs is the opportunity to receive free upgrades. Many hotel chains offer complimentary room upgrades to members with elite status, which can make a big difference in the quality of your stay.
The best part? Joining most loyalty programs is completely free! All you need to do is sign up on the hotel chain’s website or at the front desk during check-in.
Keep in mind that some loyalty programs may require a certain number of stays or points to reach elite status and unlock additional benefits. However, even as a standard member, you can still enjoy the perks of earning points and accessing exclusive rates.
Remember to compare loyalty programs across different hotel chains to find the best fit for your travel needs. Some programs may offer more generous rewards or benefits than others.
|Loyalty Program||Benefits||Membership Requirements|
|World of Hyatt||
It is worth mentioning that some hotel chains also offer co-branded credit cards that allow cardholders to earn additional points and perks for their stays. However, keep in mind that these cards may come with annual fees and interest rates, so it is important to weigh the benefits against the costs.
Unfortunately, not all hotel chains offer loyalty programs, but it is still worth checking with individual hotels for any current promotions or discounts. Additionally, third-party booking websites may offer their own loyalty programs or rewards programs that can also help save on hotel rooms.
On the other hand, if you are a frequent traveler, joining loyalty programs can be a great way to save money on hotel rooms and enjoy additional perks and benefits.
Maximize Your Credit Card Rewards
One way to save on hotel rooms is to maximize your credit card rewards. Here are some tips:
- Choose a credit card with hotel rewards: Many credit cards offer rewards or points for hotel stays. For example, the Hilton Honors American Express Card offers 7x points on purchases at Hilton hotels and resorts, 5x points at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets, and gas stations, and 3x points on all other eligible purchases. Similarly, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card offers 6x points per dollar spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels and 2x points on all other purchases.
- Use your rewards for free stays: Once you have accumulated enough points or rewards, you can use them to book free hotel stays. Some credit cards also offer free nights or other perks, such as room upgrades or complimentary breakfast.
- Get cash back on hotel purchases: Some credit cards offer cash back on hotel stays. For example, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card offers 2% cash back on all purchases, including hotel stays. This can add up quickly, especially if you travel frequently.
- Use your card for other travel expenses: In addition to hotel rewards, many credit cards offer rewards or points for other travel expenses, such as flights, rental cars, and cruises. By using your credit card for all of your travel expenses, you can accumulate rewards faster and save money on future hotel stays.
Remember that credit cards with rewards typically come with annual fees and higher interest rates, so it is important to read the fine print and choose a card that fits your budget and spending habits. Additionally, it is worth mentioning that some hotel chains offer their own rewards programs, so be sure to check if your preferred hotel chain has a loyalty program that you can join.
When it comes to saving money on hotel rooms, being flexible is key. Here are some ways to be flexible:
- Consider alternative locations: If you are willing to stay outside of the main tourist areas, you can often find cheaper hotel rooms. Look for hotels in nearby towns or suburbs.
- Be open to changing your plans: If you are flexible with your travel dates, you can often find better deals on hotel rooms. Consider traveling during the off-season or on weekdays instead of weekends when hotel rates are often higher.
- Travel with friends or family: Sharing a hotel room with friends or family can significantly reduce the cost of your stay. Consider booking a suite with multiple bedrooms or a room with two double beds.
- Split costs with roommates or strangers: If you are traveling alone or with a small group, consider using websites like Airbnb or Couchsurfing to find roommates or strangers to split the cost of a hotel room with.
Remember, being flexible with your travel plans can save you a lot of money on hotel rooms.
Saving on hotel rooms is all about being strategic and flexible. By using the tips and tricks in this guide, you can enjoy a comfortable and affordable stay wherever your travels take you.
So what are you waiting for? Start planning your next trip today and put these money-saving strategies to the test!