Discover the luxurious amenity that is taking the hotel industry by storm.
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: a plunge pool is a small, shallow pool designed for relaxation and refreshment.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about plunge pools in hotels, from their benefits to the most popular types and the best hotels to experience them.
What Are Plunge Pools?
A plunge pool is a small, shallow pool typically designed for relaxation and cooling off. It is usually no more than 5-7 feet deep and can be found in a private garden, spa, or a hotel. The term “plunge” comes from the idea of taking a quick and refreshing dip, rather than swimming laps or lounging in a larger pool.
Definition and Origin
In ancient times, plunge pools were used in traditional Turkish baths known as hammams. These pools were designed to be used for a quick dip after a steam bath and were believed to have therapeutic properties.
Today, plunge pools have become increasingly popular as a way to relax and cool off, especially in warmer climates. These pools are typically made of concrete or fiberglass and can be installed above or below ground.
Benefits of Plunge Pools
There are several benefits to having a plunge pool, whether it is in a private garden, a spa, or a hotel. Some of the main benefits include:
- Relaxation: Plunge pools are a great way to relax and unwind after a long day. The cool water can help to soothe sore muscles and reduce stress levels.
- Health Benefits: Plunge pools are believed to have several health benefits, including improved circulation and reduced inflammation. They can also help to boost the immune system and improve overall well-being.
- Space-Saving: Plunge pools are typically much smaller than traditional swimming pools, making them a great option for those with limited space.
- Energy-Efficient: Because of their smaller size, plunge pools require less water and energy to maintain than larger pools.
- Aesthetics: Plunge pools can add a touch of luxury and elegance to any outdoor space. They come in a variety of shapes and styles and can be customized to fit the look and feel of any property.
If you’re a hotel guest looking for a refreshing dip, keep in mind that some hotels may charge an additional fee to use their plunge pool. Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that plunge pools are not suitable for swimming laps or other forms of aquatic exercise. However, they are a perfect way to cool off and relax during your hotel stay.
Types of Plunge Pools
|Indoor Plunge Pools||Indoor plunge pools are located inside the hotel building. They are often designed to be used in conjunction with a spa or sauna, providing a refreshing dip after a session in the heat.|
|Outdoor Plunge Pools||Outdoor plunge pools are located outside the hotel building. They are often designed to take advantage of a scenic view, such as a city skyline, a mountain range, or a beach.|
|Infinity Plunge Pools||Infinity plunge pools are designed to give the illusion of merging with the horizon. They are often located on the edge of a cliff or a terrace, providing an uninterrupted view of the surroundings.|
|Rooftop Plunge Pools||Rooftop plunge pools are located on the top floor of the hotel building. They are often designed to be a private oasis, providing a secluded space to relax and unwind.|
It is worth mentioning that some hotels offer plunge pools that combine different types, such as an indoor/outdoor plunge pool or an infinity/rooftop plunge pool. Keep in mind that the size of a plunge pool can vary greatly depending on the hotel and its location. Unfortunately, not all hotels have plunge pools available, so it’s important to check before booking if this is a feature that you’re looking for.
If you’re interested in experiencing a plunge pool during your hotel stay, consider booking with popular hotel chains such as Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt. Remember to always follow the safety guidelines provided by the hotel, such as not diving or running near the pool, and supervising children at all times. On the other hand, if you’re not a fan of cold water, some hotels offer plunge pools that are heated or have a hot tub feature.
Best Hotels with Plunge Pools
Plunge pools are becoming increasingly popular in hotels, offering guests a luxurious and refreshing way to cool off while enjoying stunning views. Some of the world’s best hotels have plunge pools, making them a popular choice for travelers who want to experience the ultimate in relaxation and comfort. Here are some of the best hotels with plunge pools around the world:
- The Maldives: This beautiful island nation is home to some of the most luxurious hotels in the world, and many of them have plunge pools. The Anantara Dhigu Resort, for example, offers guests villas with private plunge pools overlooking the crystal-clear waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Bali: Bali is a paradise for travelers looking for a relaxing vacation, and many of the hotels here have plunge pools. The Hanging Gardens of Bali is a popular choice, with its stunning views of the surrounding jungle and rice paddies.
- Santorini: This Greek island is famous for its stunning sunsets and beautiful white-washed buildings, and many of the hotels here have plunge pools. The Astra Suites is a popular choice, with its infinity pool overlooking the Aegean Sea.
- Phuket: This Thai island is another popular destination for travelers looking for a luxurious vacation, and many of the hotels here have plunge pools. The Sri Panwa Phuket is a popular choice, with its stunning panoramic views of the Andaman Sea.
- Las Vegas: While not known for its natural beauty, Las Vegas is home to some of the most luxurious hotels in the world, many of which have plunge pools. The Encore at Wynn Las Vegas is a popular choice, with its private plunge pools overlooking the city skyline.
When choosing a hotel with a plunge pool, it is important to keep in mind that these amenities can come with a hefty price tag. It is also worth mentioning that not all plunge pools are created equal – some are larger, deeper, or more private than others. Before booking a hotel with a plunge pool, it is important to do your research and read reviews from previous guests to ensure that the pool meets your expectations.
How to Choose the Right Plunge Pool for You
Plunge pools are a popular feature in many hotels, providing guests with a refreshing and relaxing way to cool off. However, when it comes to choosing the right plunge pool for you, there are several factors to consider. Here are some tips to help you make the best decision:
- Consider Your Budget: Plunge pools come in a variety of sizes and styles, and the cost can vary greatly depending on the features you choose. Before making a decision, it is worth mentioning that you should set a budget and stick to it. Keep in mind that the cost of installation and maintenance should also be taken into account.
- Think About Your Needs: When choosing a plunge pool, consider your specific needs. For example, if you plan on using the pool for exercise, you may want to choose a larger pool with a deeper end. On the other hand, if relaxation is your main goal, a smaller pool with built-in seating may be more suitable.
- Location and Climate: The location and climate of the hotel should also be taken into consideration. If the hotel is located in a cooler climate, you may want to choose a plunge pool that is heated to ensure you can use it year-round. Additionally, if the pool will be located in a sunny area, you may want to consider adding a shade to protect guests from the sun.
- Size and Depth: The size and depth of the plunge pool should also be considered. If the pool is too small, guests may not be able to fully enjoy it. However, if the pool is too deep, it may not be suitable for all guests. Keep in mind that the size and depth should also be appropriate for the space available.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right plunge pool for your needs and ensure a refreshing and enjoyable experience during your stay at the hotel.
Tips for Using Plunge Pools
Plunge pools are becoming increasingly popular in hotels as a way to provide guests with a refreshing dip during their stay. However, there are certain tips that guests should keep in mind when using these pools to ensure they have a safe and enjoyable experience.
One of the most important factors to consider when using a plunge pool is the temperature. These pools are typically much colder than traditional swimming pools and can be a shock to the system if not prepared for. It is worth mentioning that most plunge pools are kept at a temperature of around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Visitors should slowly immerse themselves in the water, allowing their body to adjust to the temperature gradually.
Another factor to keep in mind when using a plunge pool is hygiene. It is important to note that these pools are often smaller than traditional swimming pools and can quickly become contaminated with bacteria and other germs. Most hotels have strict cleaning procedures in place to ensure the pool is safe for use, but guests can also take their own precautions by showering before entering the pool and avoiding using it if they have any open wounds or infections.
As with any pool, safety is a top priority when using a plunge pool. Most pools have depth markers to indicate the depth of the water, and guests should avoid diving or jumping into the pool, as it can be dangerous due to its size. Additionally, children should always be supervised while using the pool and should never be left unattended.
Finally, guests can enhance their experience by using relaxation techniques when using the plunge pool. Some popular methods include deep breathing exercises, stretching, and meditation. These techniques can help guests to relax and unwind, making their stay at the hotel even more enjoyable.
In conclusion, plunge pools in hotels are the perfect way to unwind and refresh yourself while enjoying breathtaking views and luxurious amenities. From indoor to outdoor, rooftop to infinity, there is a plunge pool for every taste and budget. So, why not take the plunge and experience this trendsetting amenity on your next vacation?
We hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below!