Planning a trip and wondering what roll-in showers are in hotels?
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: Roll-in showers are accessible showers designed for people with mobility impairments.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at roll-in showers in hotels. We’ll discuss what they are, why they’re important, and what to look for when booking a hotel with roll-in showers. So, whether you have a mobility impairment or simply want to ensure a comfortable and accessible stay for all guests, keep reading to learn more.
Understanding Roll-in Showers
What are Roll-in Showers?
Roll-in showers are specially designed bathrooms for people with disabilities that allow them to easily access the shower without having to step up. The shower floor is flush with the bathroom floor and has a slight slope to allow water to drain properly. Roll-in showers are usually larger than traditional showers and can accommodate a shower wheelchair if necessary.
Why are Roll-in Showers Important?
Roll-in showers are important because they allow people with disabilities to maintain their independence and dignity. It is essential that hotels provide roll-in showers to ensure that all guests can enjoy their stay. By not providing roll-in showers, hotels are discriminating against people with disabilities and potentially losing out on business.
Who Needs Roll-in Showers?
Roll-in showers are essential for people with mobility impairments, such as those who use a wheelchair, walker, or crutches. They are also beneficial for people with balance issues or who are at risk of falling. Additionally, roll-in showers can be useful for families traveling with small children or anyone who wants a larger, more accessible shower.
What are the Benefits of Roll-in Showers?
- Increased accessibility for people with mobility impairments
- Improved safety for guests at risk of falling
- More spacious and comfortable for all guests
- Compliance with disability laws and regulations
It is worth mentioning that providing roll-in showers in hotels can also lead to positive reviews and increased business from guests with disabilities. Keep in mind that many popular hotel chains, such as Marriott and Hilton, have implemented roll-in showers in their accessible rooms. Unfortunately, not all hotels have made the necessary accommodations, so it is important to do research beforehand and advocate for accessible accommodations if needed.
Features of Accessible Bathrooms
Roll-in showers are a great solution for guests with disabilities, but it is worth mentioning that accessible bathrooms in hotels should have additional features to ensure a comfortable and safe stay. These features include:
- Grab bars next to the toilet and shower
- Non-slip flooring
- Adjustable showerheads
- Lowered sink and mirror
- Ample space between fixtures for a wheelchair to maneuver
Aside from the basic features of an accessible bathroom, there are additional features that can make your stay even more comfortable. Some hotels offer:
- Shower chairs or benches
- Handheld showerheads
- Height-adjustable beds
- Visual fire alarms or doorbells
- Braille signage
When booking a hotel room with a roll-in shower, it is important to keep in mind the following:
- Availability: Not all hotels offer roll-in showers in every room, so it’s important to confirm availability before booking.
- Location: Consider the location of the accessible room in relation to amenities like the front desk, restaurants, and elevators.
- Size: Make sure the room is large enough to accommodate a wheelchair, and that the bathroom has enough space for a caregiver if needed.
- Equipment: Ask if the hotel provides equipment such as shower chairs or benches, or if you need to bring your own.
- Staff training: Ensure that hotel staff are trained to assist guests with disabilities and are familiar with the accessible features of the room.
Unfortunately, not all hotels offer roll-in showers. If this is the case, there are a few options to consider:
- Transfer benches: Some hotels may have transfer benches available to make it easier to get in and out of the bathtub.
- Portable shower chairs: You can bring your own portable shower chair and use it in the bathtub or shower.
- Request accommodations: If you have a disability, you can request reasonable accommodations from the hotel, such as a room with a bathtub or shower bench.
- Look for a different hotel: If the hotel cannot accommodate your needs, it may be necessary to look for a different hotel with the accessibility features you require.
Choosing a Hotel with Roll-in Showers
When planning a trip, individuals with mobility challenges must consider the accessibility of the accommodations. One important feature to look for in a hotel is roll-in showers, which allow wheelchair users to shower comfortably and safely. Here are some tips for choosing a hotel with roll-in showers.
- Researching Your Options: It is worth mentioning that not all hotels offer roll-in showers, so it is important to do some research before booking. A good place to start is by searching online for hotels in the desired location with accessible rooms. Many hotel chains have a section on their website dedicated to accessibility, where you can find information about the features of their accessible rooms, including roll-in showers.
- Reading Reviews: Keep in mind that hotel websites may not always provide a full picture of the accessibility features available. Reading reviews from other travelers with mobility challenges can be helpful in determining whether a hotel truly meets your needs. Look for reviews that specifically mention the roll-in shower and whether it was spacious and easy to use.
- Contacting the Hotel Directly: Unfortunately, not all hotels accurately represent their accessible features online, so it is important to contact the hotel directly to confirm that they have roll-in showers and any other accessibility accommodations you may require. Be sure to ask about the size and layout of the roll-in shower, as well as any additional equipment that may be available, such as shower chairs or grab bars.
By researching your options, reading reviews, and contacting the hotel directly, you can ensure that your hotel has the necessary accessibility features to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Roll-in showers are a crucial feature in hotels, making them accessible for guests with disabilities or limited mobility. The convenience and safety they offer should not be overlooked.
It is worth mentioning that some hotel chains have made a conscious effort to provide roll-in showers in all of their properties, while others have yet to catch up with the trend. However, with the increasing demand for accessibility, it is likely that more hotels will begin to provide roll-in showers in the near future.
It is important to keep in mind that the construction and installation of roll-in showers can be expensive, but the benefits they offer are well worth the investment.
Unfortunately, some hotels still have a long way to go in terms of accessibility. Guests with disabilities or limited mobility may face difficulties finding a hotel that meets their needs.
Remember, providing roll-in showers is not only a legal requirement in some countries, but it also allows hotels to cater to a wider range of guests and improve their overall reputation.
On the other hand, it is important for guests to communicate their accessibility needs to hotels in advance to ensure that their stay is comfortable and enjoyable.
Roll-in showers are an important feature for anyone with mobility impairments, and can make a big difference in the comfort and accessibility of a hotel stay.
When choosing a hotel with roll-in showers, it’s important to do your research and consider all of the features and amenities that are important to you.
By taking the time to find the right hotel, you can ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all guests, regardless of their mobility needs.