Are you a fan of American Horror Story and wondering where was AHS Hotel filmed? Well, you’re in the right place! In this article, we’ll take you on a thrilling journey to discover the real filming locations of AHS Hotel.
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: AHS Hotel was primarily filmed in Los Angeles, California, with some additional scenes filmed in Florida and New York.
But if you want to know more details about the filming locations, keep reading!
Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles, California was the primary filming location for American Horror Story: Hotel. Several iconic buildings in the city were featured in the show, adding to the eerie atmosphere of the series.
- Cecil Hotel: This abandoned hotel was the inspiration behind the season’s storyline. The exterior of the Cecil Hotel was used in several shots throughout the season, including the infamous “Hotel Cortez” sign.
- The Oviatt Building: This historic building in downtown LA was used as the exterior for the “Cortez” hotel. Its art deco style and grandeur made it the perfect choice for the show’s setting.
- Alex Theatre: The Alex Theatre in Glendale was used as the filming location for the “Cortez Bar”. The theatre’s ornate interior and vintage vibe added to the show’s ambiance.
- MacArthur Hotel: The MacArthur Hotel in Los Angeles was used as the filming location for “Room 64”. The hotel’s grand ballroom was also used for several scenes throughout the season.
- Roosevelt Hotel: This iconic Hollywood hotel was used as the filming location for several scenes in the show, including the hotel’s lobby and bar. The hotel’s rich history and Art Deco design added to the show’s overall aesthetic.
Los Angeles served as the perfect backdrop for American Horror Story: Hotel, with its historic buildings and eerie atmosphere. It is worth mentioning that several other popular hotel chains in Los Angeles were used as filming locations for the show, including the Hilton and the Westin Bonaventure.
When it comes to the filming of American Horror Story: Hotel, Florida played a crucial role in providing the perfect backdrop for the show’s eerie and mysterious scenes.
One of the most notable filming locations in Florida for the series was St. Petersburg, located on the Gulf of Mexico in the Tampa Bay area.
St. Petersburg was chosen for its unique architecture and historical landmarks that perfectly matched the show’s aesthetic. The Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club in downtown St. Petersburg was one of the primary filming locations for the series, serving as the exterior of the Hotel Cortez in the show. This luxurious hotel, built in the Mediterranean Revival style, provided the perfect setting for the show’s dark and twisted storyline.
Aside from the Vinoy Renaissance Resort, other notable locations where AHS: Hotel was filmed in St. Petersburg include the St. Petersburg City Hall, the Dali Museum, and the St. Petersburg Museum of History. These locations were used to film various scenes throughout the series, adding to the show’s overall eerie atmosphere.
It is worth mentioning that the Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club is a popular hotel chain with locations throughout the United States, known for its luxurious amenities and stunning architecture.
One of the most iconic and luxurious hotels in New York City, The Waldorf Astoria New York, served as the primary filming location for American Horror Story: Hotel. The hotel, which was opened in 1893, boasts a rich history and has hosted numerous celebrities and prominent figures over the years.
Unfortunately, in 2017, The Waldorf Astoria New York closed its doors for renovations, and it is unclear when it will reopen. However, fans of American Horror Story can still admire the hotel’s grandeur and beauty in the show’s fifth season.
It is worth mentioning that The Waldorf Astoria New York was not the only filming location for American Horror Story: Hotel in New York. Other notable locations include:
- The Hotel Chelsea: This historic hotel in Manhattan has a long history of hosting artists and musicians, and it served as the inspiration for the Hotel Cortez in American Horror Story: Hotel. However, the actual filming for the show took place elsewhere.
- The Plaza Hotel: Another iconic hotel in New York City, The Plaza Hotel was used for some exterior shots in American Horror Story: Hotel.
While the majority of the filming for American Horror Story’s Hotel season was done on location at the historic Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, California, there were a few scenes that were filmed elsewhere.
One notable location was Paramount Studios, where the show’s production team built a replica of the hotel’s exterior for certain scenes. The studio is located in Hollywood and has been the location for many popular films and TV shows over the years. Unfortunately, there isn’t much information available on which specific scenes were filmed at Paramount Studios.
Another location that was used for filming was Universal Studios. While it’s unclear which scenes were filmed there, it’s worth mentioning that Universal Studios is a popular location for film and TV production. The studio has been used for many iconic movies and shows, including Jurassic Park, Jaws, and The Office.
In conclusion, AHS Hotel was primarily filmed in Los Angeles, California, with some additional scenes filmed in Florida and New York.
The show’s creators did an excellent job of selecting the perfect filming locations to create the creepy and eerie atmosphere that AHS is known for.
We hope you enjoyed discovering the real filming locations of AHS Hotel with us. Who knows, you might even visit some of these locations on your next trip!