If you’re a fan of the classic romantic comedy Pretty Woman, you may have found yourself wondering where the movie was filmed.
Well, wonder no more! In this article, we’ll take you on a comprehensive tour of the iconic movie’s filming locations.
If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer: Pretty Woman was filmed in various locations around Los Angeles, California, capturing the city’s glamour and grit in equal measure. In the movie, Edward whisks Vivian away to the luxurious Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, where they stay in a palatial suite overlooking the city.
From the luxurious Beverly Wilshire Hotel to the charming streets of Hollywood, we’ll cover it all. So, let’s dive in!
The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel
The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel is a luxurious five-star hotel located in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. It was originally built in 1928 and has since undergone several renovations to maintain its grandeur. The hotel has played host to many notable guests over the years, including Hollywood celebrities, politicians, and royalty.
When it comes to the film industry, the Regent Beverly Wilshire is perhaps best known for its appearance in the classic romantic comedy, Pretty Woman. The hotel served as the primary filming location for the movie, and appears prominently in several scenes.
The Hotel’s History
The Beverly Wilshire has a rich history that dates back nearly a century. The hotel was designed by architect Albert Martin and was originally intended to be an apartment building. However, it was later converted into a hotel due to the rise in demand for luxury accommodations in the area.
Over the years, the hotel has hosted many notable events, including the Golden Globe Awards and the Beverly Hills International Film Festival.
The Sister Hotel
The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel has a sister hotel in Tokyo, Japan, called the Regent Tokyo. Both hotels are part of the Regent Hotels & Resorts chain.
Filming Locations at the Regent Beverly Wilshire
The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel served as the primary filming location for the iconic movie Pretty Woman. The hotel’s exterior, lobby, and rooms were all used in the film. The famous scene where Julia Roberts’ character Vivian is asked if she is “here for the weekend?” was filmed in the hotel’s lobby.
The hotel’s presidential suite was also used in the film. This suite is the most luxurious room in the hotel and is still available for guests to book today.
Throughout the filming of Pretty Woman, the Beverly Wilshire served as the primary filming location for many of the movie’s most iconic scenes. Some of the most memorable include the scene where Edward (played by Richard Gere) presents Vivian (played by Julia Roberts) with a red dress to wear to the opera, as well as the scene in which Vivian sings “Kiss” in the hotel bathtub.
In addition to the hotel’s interior, several exterior shots were also filmed on location at the Beverly Wilshire. These include the scene where Vivian and Edward first arrive at the hotel in a limousine and the scene where they enjoy a romantic evening on the balcony of their suite.
Fun Facts About the Beverly Wilshire
- The hotel’s penthouse suite, which spans over 5,000 square feet, is one of the most expensive hotel rooms in the world.
- Several famous guests have stayed at the Beverly Wilshire over the years, including Elvis Presley, Barack Obama, and the Dalai Lama.
- The hotel’s Italian Renaissance-style architecture was inspired by the Villa de Medici in Rome.
- Many famous celebrities have stayed at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, including Elvis Presley, Warren Beatty, and John Lennon.
- The hotel has a rooftop pool that offers stunning views of Beverly Hills and the surrounding area.
- The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel has been featured in several other movies and TV shows, including Beverly Hills Cop and Sex and the City.
Rodeo Drive is undoubtedly one of the most famous locations in the movie Pretty Woman. This glamorous shopping street is located in the heart of Beverly Hills and is known for its high-end designer stores, luxury boutiques, and celebrity sightings.
Julia Roberts’ iconic shopping spree scene was filmed on Rodeo Drive, where she famously enters a boutique and is refused service because of her appearance. This scene takes place at the intersection of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard.
Other parts of Rodeo Drive that were featured in the movie include the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, where Richard Gere’s character stays, and the Beverly Hills Giorgio Armani store, where Roberts’ character goes on a shopping spree.
It is worth mentioning that Rodeo Drive is not just a movie location, but a real-life shopping destination for the rich and famous. Visitors can walk along the palm-tree-lined street and window shop at stores like Gucci, Prada, and Louis Vuitton.
If you’re a fan of the movie, keep in mind that the real-life stores on Rodeo Drive may not be as welcoming as they appear in the film. Unfortunately, not everyone gets the Pretty Woman treatment when they walk into a high-end boutique.
On the other hand, if you’re interested in the history of Rodeo Drive and its role in fashion and entertainment, there are several tours available that highlight the street’s iconic locations. The Beverly Hills Conference and Visitors Bureau offers a Rodeo Drive Walk of Style, which honors designers and style icons who have made their mark on the famous street.
Hollywood Boulevard is one of the most famous streets in the world, known for its glitz, glamour, and star-studded sidewalks. It comes as no surprise that it was one of the filming locations for the iconic movie Pretty Woman.
The scene at the beginning of the movie where Vivian, played by Julia Roberts, is walking down the street and meets Edward, played by Richard Gere, was filmed on Hollywood Boulevard. The location perfectly showcases the energy and excitement of the area, with its bright lights and bustling crowds.
Other Filming Locations on Hollywood Boulevard:
- The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel: This luxurious hotel was the setting for many of the movie’s most memorable scenes, including the one where Vivian is given a makeover.
- The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel: This historic hotel was used for the exterior shots of the hotel where Edward stays in the movie.
- The Hollywood Walk of Fame: This famous sidewalk is featured in the scene where Vivian and Edward are walking and talking, and Vivian spots a star on the ground.
It is worth mentioning that while Hollywood Boulevard is certainly a glamorous location, it is not without its flaws. Keep in mind that the area can be quite crowded and touristy, and unfortunately, there have been incidents of crime in the past. However, with proper precautions and awareness, visitors can still enjoy the energy and excitement of this iconic street.
|The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel
|The hotel offers a “Pretty Woman for a Day” package that includes a stay in the exact suite where the movie was filmed.
|The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
|The hotel has a rich history, having hosted celebrities like Marilyn Monroe and Charlie Chaplin.
|The Hollywood Walk of Fame
|The sidewalk is home to over 2,600 stars honoring celebrities from the world of entertainment.
Remember, while visiting the filming locations of Pretty Woman can be a fun and exciting experience, it is important to respect the privacy of any hotels or businesses that were used in the movie. With that in mind, fans of the movie can still enjoy a trip down Hollywood Boulevard and relive some of its most iconic moments.
Other Filming Locations
Aside from the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, there are other filming locations in Pretty Woman that are worth mentioning:
- The Apartment Building: The building where Vivian lives is located at 640 South San Vicente Boulevard, Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the building is a private residence, so visitors are not allowed to enter.
- The Opera House: The beautiful opera scene where Edward and Vivian watch La Traviata was filmed at the San Francisco Opera House. It is worth noting that the opera house has a seating capacity of 3,146 people and it is the second-largest opera house in North America.
- The Polo Lounge: The famous restaurant where Edward and Vivian have their first date is located at the Beverly Hills Hotel, which is part of the Dorchester Collection. The Polo Lounge has been a popular celebrity hangout for decades and it is known for its iconic pink walls and celebrity sightings.
- The Park Where Edward and Vivian Meet: The park where Edward and Vivian first meet is located at the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street in Hollywood. The park is known as “Hollywood and Vine” and it is a popular tourist attraction.
It is important to keep in mind that not all the filming locations are accessible to the public. However, fans of the movie can still visit some of the locations, such as the Beverly Wilshire Hotel and the Hollywood and Vine park, to relive the magic of Pretty Woman.
On the other hand, if you are a fan of fine dining, you can visit The Polo Lounge and enjoy a meal in one of the most iconic restaurants in Los Angeles.
And there you have it, a comprehensive guide to all of the filming locations of the beloved movie Pretty Woman.
Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about the locations, we hope you enjoyed this tour.
From the iconic Beverly Wilshire Hotel to the charming streets of Hollywood, these locations will always hold a special place in our hearts.
Thanks for reading!